Thursday, April 25, 2013

How it all began, & a Red Hen version of a Pottery Barn Dining Table

In case you were wondering how I got started on my table-building spree…I’m here to tell the tale!

Our new home has an actual dining room, and I’ve spent WAY too much time dreaming and wondering and imagining what kind of table I’d like to put in there…

I fell in love with this look first…

…as well as this one.

pb solomon

Pottery Barn

The Pottery Barn table (above) particularly made my heart go pitty-pat.  I love the fact that it is large enough to seat eight people (since there are that many of us), and it also extends to seat even more.  What I didn’t love was the price—anywhere between $1700-$2500, depending on if you were in store, on-line, or standing on your head (meaning…there is no rhyme or reason to it). 

I just couldn’t bring myself to do it.

I’m just too cheap frugal. 

So I decided to try building my own table.  I had wanted to try building something for a long time, and surely this was my golden opportunity!  It wouldn’t extend, but I figured the money I would save would make me feel better about it!

So I started with this one:

Red Hen Home Farmhouse Table 3

…and then I sold it

Then I made another:

Table 2

…and another:

furniture building 007

I sorta-kinda joked with my husband that if I could only build and sell five or six tables, I could afford the Pottery Barn one!  But really, I was having so much fun building tables, I couldn’t bring myself to stop!

After building three of the same style table, I decided to make some small changes to get closer to that PB one I loved.  And this is what I came up with.

I followed the measurement of the PB table almost exactly.  I wanted the maximum possible room between the legs for the people sitting on the sides.

furniture building 028

I swapped out the super thick top with breadboard ends for a thinner version.  I used three 1x10’s and two 1x8’s, and skipped the breadboard ends. 

furniture building 027

I liked the pretty little brackets that detailed the legs on the PB table, so I made some of my own.

furniture building 029

I don’t have a band saw, so I had to be nervy and make my husband ask a new neighbor if *I* could borrow theirs  Winking smile

2013-02-21 15.11.53

…but I made homemade cinnamon rolls for payment!

2013-03-13 14.19.58

Here are my pretty little brackets…aren’t they cute??

furniture building 026

You may recognize the bench from here.  I liked how its curves complemented the table, even though I didn’t choose to keep it! 

The chairs were purchased from World Market when they were on sale.  The kids are jealous that their dad and I get the GOOD chairs!    Especially since they don’t actually have chairs yet; I’m still on the hunt for those!

furniture building 028

So that’s my version of the PB Solomon dining table.  It doesn’t extend.  But it’s solid wood and cost about a tenth of the price to make (and that’s on a good day). 

I’m sure you’re all dying to know…are you keeping the table??

Well….no.

Oh, go ahead.  Roll your eyes if you want to.

But remember how I said it was fun to build tables??  Well, it IS!  And I keep having new ideas I want to try out, and you can’t just keep building tables if you also aren’t selling them at the same time…

So I sold it.

We got to eat Easter dinner at it first.

But now it’s gone.

My husband thinks we should put a revolving door in the dining room.

He may be right!

***********************************
 
Linking up here:
Domestically Speaking Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic  
My Simple Home Life’s Simple Creations Friday Miss Mustard Seed’s Furniture Feature Friday
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Mod Vintage Life
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Perfectly Imperfect Sawdust Throwdown
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours All Star Block Party
A Little Knick Knack
The Scoop!
 

24 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

OK, you're amazingly talented! that last one is gorgeous!! you just keep getting better and better! Pretty soon PB will be buying tables from YOU!!

Anonymous said...

It's fabulous that you can build those wonderful tables! Even better that you can sell them and keep building! - Susan

Unknown said...

Love that you are doing something you love and making money doing it. :) That is the key to life.

Love how you had your hubby ask for the band saw!!! lol I totally do the same thing all the time!

Maybe you will make enough money doing this to buy a band saw so that you can just keep on going! lol

ANNE said...

You are brilliant! I so want one of these...

Rachel said...

I am laughing!! Of course you didn't keep it because think of the possibilities that you could do with future tables! :D I do wish I had your energy.

My Repurposed Life said...

you crack me up Korrie! I haven't built one yet.... happy you are enjoying yourself, and moving beautiful pieces and giving them new loving homes!

have a great weekend,
gail

Jaime Costiglio said...

Korrie that's a wonderful story. So glad you're getting your build on, can't wait to see the next version.

Cynthia said...

I love the changes you made look out PB we may have a new table maker!!!

Cynthia

Diane Higdon said...

You hit another home run with the newest table. I know "someone" is very happy with their purchase. Keep up the good work...love seeing your creations. :)

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

You are making so many people happy with your gorgeous tables Korrie! ... Well, maybe not the people at Pottery Barn! ... And eventually, you really need to keep one!

Gypsy Heart said...

I can make killer cinnamon rolls but I could never saw wood or make a table! :) You are truly amazing. I don't blame you for selling them if you enjoy the process of creating tables, especially new designs. You go, girl!

xo
Pat

Bliss said...

No eye rolling from me, I think you are an industrious entrepreneur.
Bliss

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love your table, it is fabulous and wow, such a great job. I would love for you to link this to my Inspire Me party that will be live Monday evening. wwww.astrollthrulife.net
Hugs, Marty

Miss Charming said...

You are so awesome, Korrie! Who guessed that you would turn out to be a Table Building Diva?

Pitter and Glink said...

It's seriously gorgeous!

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

OMG you make these?? Unbelievable. Ah-mazing! I’d love it if you could link this up to our party, Give Me The Goods Monday! {1 party, 5 blogs}
http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-party-6.html
Have a great week!
Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

ibshell said...

Truly SPECTACULAR!!! I think I need to start selling my goods too. Getting hard to find places to put things! LOL ;) Just have to say, however, I've never made a dining table though. Always wanted to, didn't think of selling em! Great job!!

Unknown said...

I think is just awesome that you bake cinnammon rolls AND build lovely tables. ;) I hope someday you'll keep one for yourself though!

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Wow I'm impressed. You know your way around a saw girl!! That table is gorgeous.

Audra @ Renewed Projects said...

You are so crafty and talented! you just might put Pottery Barn out of business!

Donna Wilkes said...

Great looking table and table and table and ... You are on a roll. I bet you do not even want the PB table now. I hope you went ahead and made lots of brackets with the borrowed band saw!

Bargain Hoot said...

PB should hire you!!!
If you build it they will come!!
PS. If you have time... drop by and share your lovely build at my new bloggie party....
Hope you have a blessed evening!

Lynn Fern said...

That is just awesome. I love that you can work your away around a saw.

Wild Oak Designs said...

You are amazing! I love all of the tables...esp the bread board ends, cause they are unique. But, seriously, I think you have a new career! These are better than PB because they are made by you...wonderful tables.
I love the shelves on the wall by the way. Did you make those too?? Darling.
You are so creative....
great job.
Nancy
http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com