Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Three-Tone Dresser

My dear parents were visiting us all last week, so I’m a little behind on projects…but I wouldn’t trade my time with them for anything!  This is the first time they’ve been able to come see us since we moved last Christmas.  My mother is in very poor health and it is particularly difficult for her to travel so I don’t know how many opportunities like this we will have.  She kept fretting that she was “keeping me” from getting ready for my next show…but I reminded her of one of the greatest lessons she ever taught me…

People are always more important than things!

******

So here’s a project that I actually finished several weeks ago; it has already gone on to a new home.  I did get to enjoy it in my dining room for a little while!

Red Hen Home White & Wood Dresser 2

It was a garage sale find that was meant to be mine!  It was in remarkably good shape…it had the original casters (love those), all the pulls, no missing veneer, etc.  The only thing it was missing was the little metal drawer stops that keep the drawers from sliding all the way back…a few partially-exposed screws took care of that!

Red Hen Home White & Wood Dresser Before

I thought the wood veneer on the drawers was too pretty to cover up.  the top drawer is something like curly maple…I think…while the bottom drawers are walnut.  I am no expert, so I could be totally off here!

Red Hen Home White & Wood Dresser 3

Although I used the same antique walnut stain on all the exposed wood, I wipe it off very quickly on the top drawer to highlight the difference.

Red Hen Home White & Wood Dresser 4

The body was painted in Sherwin Williams Creamy, and lightly distressed and glazed.  I love the contrast of the paint and the stain!

You can see another two-tone dresser I finished last year here.  I don’t think this one will be the last!

***************************

Linking up here:

The Inspiration Exchange Elizabeth & Co.
Primitive & Proper Thrifty Décor Chick
Friday Remodelaholic The Scoop!
Funky Junk’s Saturday Night Special The DIY Show Off
Miss Mustard Seed
Beyond the Picket Fence Coastal Charm
Knick of Time
Domestically Speaking
Perfectly Imperfect No Minimalist Here
Common Ground My Repurposed Life
From My Front Porch to Yours Mod Vintage Life
A Little Knick Knack

11 comments:

Yvonne said...

Beautiful. I love the two-toned look too.

Cassie Bustamante said...

just gorgeous! i love the shape and finish!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Really pretty Korrie! I love the different wood tones! ... And oh yes, spending time with the people we love is the best!

Full Circle Creations said...

Just lovely! I am working on one now too. Glad you were able to spend time with your parents!

Twice Nice said...

I love the wood and paint combo! So pretty!

Gypsy Heart said...

Beautiful!! I'm so glad your parents were able to visit...and yes, people are much more important than "things".

xo
Pat




Bliss said...

Love it, pinned it!

SImple and Serene Living said...

I love the contrast too, Korrie. So glad you had the time with your mom. xo Laura

My Repurposed Life said...

LOVE this dresser Korrie... you did a perfect job on it.
so happy you got to spend some time with your folks!
gail

Unknown said...

Great job and I love the different colors!

Loribeth Clark said...

Too cute!

I'm like you I love original casters. I don't have any more room for furniture, so it's been really hard for me to walk away from some pieces.

This dresser would have been one of those pieces I would have had a hard time walking away from!!!!